Historical Timeline


February 4, 1820

The Jackson Purchase was added to the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

1827 map, although inaccurate at the time, of Calloway County before Marshall formed.


A post office and trading center first called Williston for James Willis, an early settler, then Pooltown after a merchant named Robert Pool, was renamed "Pleasant Hill," then later incorporated as the City of Murray.

A representative of early post office of Dr. R. L. Grogan, cir. 1850-1900.

April 17, 1820

A container known as a toll dish inscribed with this date was used to measure grain when farmers brought their loads for grinding to Brandon's Mill.

A representative of early post office of Dr. R. L. Grogan, cir. 1850-1900.

December 15, 1821

The original boundaries of Calloway County were approved by an act of the General Assembly.

A plat of Calloway County after Marshall is formed.

June 1822

The first land office in the Jackson Purchase was opened in Wadesboro. Being the first, it was often referred to as the Capital of the Purchase.

November 3, 1822

Calloway County was carved from Hickman County, encompassing 395 square miles. Named for Colonel Richard Calloway, it also included what is now Marshall County.

January 10, 1823

The first session of an organizing meeting for the county was held on this date. The second session was on the following day and the first item of business was the construction of a courthouse.

January 16, 1823

Commissioners representing the state established the first County Court in Calloway. The clerk was certified by the Court of Appeals. At this meeting the first license to perform marriages was registered; six constable districts were organized, and the sheriff, William Duncan, was approved by appointment from the Governor.

First courthouse of Calloway County.

March 1823

Appointments were made to build a road from Heath's Ferry on the Tennessee River to Wadesboro. Others were appointed to layout a road from Wadesboro toward the county seat in Graves County. During the same meeting the first tavern license was granted and an order to build the county jail was adopted.


The county tax levy totaled $591.13 at the rate of $1 per title of land.  The tax was reduced to .50 cents the following year.

May 15, 1823

The first civil suit was up for decision at the second session of the Circuit Court.

February 12, 1827

The second post office in the area was established with Chauncey Miller as Postmaster. It was located near present day Kenlake Hotel.


The price of land in Calloway County was reduced to 50 cents per acre. The highest price paid for Government land in the county was $1.25 per acre, and the lowest price was 12 cents per acre.

October 8, 1828

Members of the Robert C. Stubblefield family were living in the area referred to as Humility. The community was later renamed New Concord.

New Concord Cemetery entrance.


The county court ordered a new courthouse building built of brick, two stories in height, 36 feet by 36 feet.

May 28, 1830

The third post office was established in the area of Murray, named Williston for the postmaster, James Willis. Later, this site was renamed Pooltown and then changed to Pleasant Hill.


The Calloway County census showed a population of 5,164 with 822 heads of households, and 361 slaves.


South of Wadesboro settlers: Charles Linn, Mr. Farrar, the Saunders family, William Melton, Peter Boggs, Coleman Wicker, Mr. Merriman, Thomas Garrett, Mr. Dunn, Mr. Skaggs, Henry R. Bailey, Seth Pool, Robert Pool, Betsey Faires and others.


John Hodges, Robert Stubblefield, and James Barnett were early Tennessee River settlers.

August 29, 1832

Wadesboro Lodge No. 105 of the Freemasons was established August 29, 1838.  They closed on September 1, 1840. Murray Lodge No. 105 opened their doors in Murray on August 29, 1844.

Freemason symbol courtesy Wikipedia.


South Pleasant Grove Methodist Church was established.


The community of Concord was established about 10 miles from Murray. In 1868, it was incorporated and became New Concord, with population around 150. (Began October 8, 1828 as Humility)


The largest family in Calloway County history was likely William Henry and Nancy (Chunn) Killebrew who bore 21 sons; none were still born and there were no twins.

The stone of Nancy Chunn Killebrew.

September 19, 1837

Tobacco was selling from 3 to 5 cents per pound.


Wear (later Wallis) Drug Store was established. It was later burned by Union soldiers during the Civil War. The store was rebuilt at 412 Main Street and returned to business, remaining operational until March 1998.


"Seclusaval," home of Peter Steinback and Virginia Ann Michaux Hamlin, was built by David and Billie Brewer near New Concord on Blood River. All of the woodwork was carved by hand.

Seclusaval - The Hamlin Place


The Mormons tried to establish a church in Calloway County, and Elder Sydney Rigdon was sent here to make proselytes. The majority of those converted moved to Nauvoo, Illinois.

1700-1820 | 1820-1839 | 1840-1859 | 1860-1889
1890-1919 | 1920-1939 | 1940-1959 | 1960-1979
1980-1999 | 2000-2019 | 2020-2022



Events Calendar


History Book